More than 60,000 Aussies have revealed their top brands for 2022.
Aldi has been crowned supermarket of the year for the third year running, beating out rivals Woolworths and Coles.
The budget grocery store topped Roy Morgan’s annual Customer Satisfaction Awards for supermarkets, which is based on interviews with more than 60,000 Aussies.
More Aussies have been driven to the German giant due to cost-of-living pressures, with the supermarket claiming it saved its customers $3.1 billion in 2022.
The award was one of 40 announced by the researchers, with Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi, Chemist Warehouse, Costco and Myer also among the winners across different categories.
Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine said the awards honoured businesses who delivered continuously on their “social contract” with customers, and was based on the honest opinions of “real people”.
“This massive study provides an accurate, independent and objective measure of how people feel about the companies they give their business to,” Levine said.
Skoda, Myer, JB Hi-Fi, Bunnings, Rebel, Aldi, Subway, AustralianSuper, Kleenheart, The Reject Shop and Real Insurance received perfect records across the 12-month period.
Qantas has a surprise win
Despite public backlash and a steady drop in customer satisfaction, Qantas managed to nab an award for top domestic airline.
“Faced with historic levels of distrust and class action lawsuits, Qantas is highly unlikely to win the award in 2023,” Levine said.
Virgin Australia took out the gong for best local business travel airline in 2022, while Singapore Airlines was rated the best international airline.
List of winners
Here’s a look at some of the award highlights, see the full list here.
- Department Store of the Year – Myer
- Furniture/Electrical Store of the Year – JB Hi-Fi
- Hardware Store of the Year – Bunnings Warehouse
- Chemist/Pharmacy of the Year – Chemist Warehouse
- Liquor Store of the Year – Dan Murphy’s
- Supermarket of the Year – ALDI
- Bank of the Year – Beyond Bank
- General Insurer of the Year – Defence Service Homes Insurance
- Private Health Insurer of the Year – Teachers Union Health Fund
- Retail Super Fund of the Year – OnePath
- Industry Super Fund of the Year – UniSuper